Saturday, July 26, 2008

Coming Home

Kelley went home on Friday at about 6 p.m. She kinda wanted to stay the night, they had been giving her morphine for the pain and was pretty sleepy, but the Doctor came by about 5 p.m. and told her she need to go home, that there really wasn't much more they could do for her and she would be more comfortable at home. He also said and another Doctor who had visited Kelley earlier, when I wasn't in the room said that they didn't want her exposed to bacteria that was resistant to antibiotics. That was a little unnerving. The Hospital looked old but clean. I have been very busy taking care of my patient. It seems by the time I get all her meds in her, coaxs her to have a little soup or ensure, refresh her water, get either the cold packs or heat pad, wet wash cloths, etc. It is time to do it again. She is in some pretty good pain, her nose is stuffy and her throat hurts alot. Her Post Op Dr. appt is on Tuesday so I have decided to take her to her appointment then go back to Houston. Hopefully she can be self sufficient by then or I will feel bad leaving. Her sister will be here, but she is in summer school and is busy. This is when it stinks to be far away. My son Clay (12) and I went to pickup some of Kelley's meds today, so we stopped at a health food store and got some supplements, something called 100% Protein (from Whey) and Source of Life liquid vitamins. The Doctor said that she really needed protein (in the form of animal protein) and she is borderline anemic.
Since she is a vegiatarian I think she need to be extra wise about her diet, especially during recovery, they also said that she should cousult a dietcian (would'nt hurt). Christina and I went out and got an inexpensive juicer, hopefully the two of them will get creative and prepare some healthy drinks. I would like to thank all of my Blog advisor panel members, what would I do without the advice I get from all of you.
Mo-Mo

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I would also be unnerved if the doctor cautioned me about roaming bacteria in the hospital. Good grief!

It sure sounds like Kelley is in good hands. I'm sure she appreciates everything you and Christina have done to make her feel comfortable.

Here's a couple of things that helped me during the first week of recovery:

RE nose bleeds/stuffiness: I had a bottle of nose spray that I would take with me into the shower. Because I still pretty light headed, I used the nose spray and then sat in the shower to let the steam open up my pores and nasal passages. That seemed to provide me with some relief.

RE sore throat: I made warm lemonade (just hot water and fresh lemons with a dash of honey) and drank that to help my throat.

I'm not fully convinced that Kelley must have animal protein for a full recovery. She can get protein from spinach, tofu, peanut butter, or soy, among other products (like the protein powder). If she's into smoothies, for example, she could add a few bits of frozen spinach into her fruit smoothie. And she probably wouldn't even taste it (although I guess it would depend on how much spinach is blended into her drink).

Anyway, I'll keep thinking about that and see what other alternatives she may be interested in trying before resorting to animal protein.

And how are you doing?? I know you've been a real trooper these days!!

:0)
M

Anonymous said...

One thing I had and still use - because blowing your nose is forbidden for about 8 weeks and you need to get all the blood out- is a salt water spray. It's very gentle and does the job beautifully.

As a source of protein, I added protein powder to my smoothies, just the stuff I got from health food shops. I went through 2 big tins of the stuff, it seemed to do the trick.

mylene