Thursday, July 24, 2008

What a Day!

Well we got Kelley to the Hospital by 6:30. They got her ready for Pre-Op by 7:30 and took her away at 8:00, by 9:45 the Dr. call my cell phone (we to the Cafe to get some breakfast) and said that they were finishing up and everything well beautifully. We headed back to the waiting area and and Dr. Leibold came out and said everything went as planned, about 45 min. later Dr. Largent came out and said she did very well and that she could go home today!!! I told him no, I didn't think I wasn't ready for her to come home (I was scared,kinda like leaving the hospital with a newborn) Well she didn't leave recovery and get into a regular room intill about 2:30. I'm am so glad that she didn't come home. She felt nausea so they gave her medication. She was very sleepy. The shift changed at 3:00, by the time the nurse did her rounds by 4:00 Kelley got sick, Scary (Dark red blood) they gave her, her antibiotics, pain meds and stuff for swelling. By this time Kelley's swelling had doubled! I asked for some ice packs (they didn't have a order) but they got it eventually. In and out of sleep, I gave her some ice chips and some water through a straw. I went to get something to eat a 7:00 p.m. (Her roommate was having an enema so I thought I should go) by the time I got back she thought a sprite was a good idea (they didn't have any so I had to find a vending machine) She was a couple of sips through a straw (not sucking by buy putting a finger over one end) She felt sick again atleast it was as bad as the first time, but it started her nose to bleed. The Doctors made their rounds about 5:00, and they said let them know if there was any bright red blood. Well the blood from the nose was bright red. The nurse call the doctor and they didn't seem to concerned since it was just tricking and not gushing. By the time I left at 8:00 p.m. we got the bleeding to stop and he fell asleep. She has bands in the back but did not get wired in the front and she did not need the splint. So my question to Blog Land is all this normal? I hope she fells better tomorrow. Mo-Mo

4 comments:

holski said...

Glad to hear everything went well. =) Everything sounds very normal so far. I didn't experience any nose bleeds, but I know a lot of people who get a Lefort do. I do remember throwing up that dark blood though! Scary! But also normal I think, since it sneaks down into the stomach during surgery.

Congrats! Must be a relief to be past this, and onto recovery.

Anonymous said...

The nose bleeds are totally normal, the blood has to come out somewhere. The voiting is impressive (and pretty horrible too!) but if the nurses are prepared it should be ok. I had nose bleeds for days pretty much constantly, then off and on for another week.
I can't believe they wanted her to come home already! Anyway, glad everything went well. I hope you're holding up well to, it's exhausting being the Support Team!

mylene

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you insisted that Kam stay the night. The nose bleeds are annoying, but perfectly normal (so is the nausea). I'm so happy the surgery went well!

:0)
M

Rachel said...

I'm so glad its over! It all sounds like what I had. Michelle and I weren't wired, we both just had bands. I too had the nausea with dark red blood too. Very scary to see, but they assured me it was all the drainage in my stomach. Nosebleeds are normal too and sooooo annoying. I got one every time I moved for the first week. They aren't bad though. I'll have to come visit Kam soon since I'm not that far away! I hope she enjoys some good smoothies!